uwMike.com

I am engaged to the beautiful and wonderful Tara Cleaver!

Ambigrams

January 11th, 2006 6

Ever since Dave Shea [linked to them](http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2005/11/10/pizza_and_pa/), I’ve been fascinated by [John Langdon's Ambigrams](http://www.johnlangdon.net/ambigrams.html).

I got his book Wordplay for Christmas, which is a fascinating series of new ambigrams, interspersed with philosophical musings and other treats.

Waterloo Ambigram

Browncoats Ambigram

Veronica Mars Ambigram

Mike

Discussion

1. Ever since Scott Kim published some of his back in the 80s, I’ve felt that graphically ambigrams are among the coolest things since faded drop-shadows. But man oh man, are they tricky to do.

Posted at 12:28 pm on January 13th by Michael.

2. The Wordplay book actually has a pretty decent chapter with some advice in it on getting started. I think the biggest key is to a) pick a phrase that already has a “freebie” or two in it, and b) be willing to make one letter uglier, if it makes its neighbour prettier. (Having alternating letters very distinct will carry the eye over the ones that are just a scribble.)

Besides just being patient, I guess. That “Browncoats” one really isn’t very clear, although I suppose it probably comes quicker to fellow Firefly fans.

Posted at 1:20 pm on January 13th by Mike Purvis.

3. yea I thought that browncoats one was Spoconcoats or Sroconcoats

Posted at 10:25 am on January 14th by Bily.

4. Playing around with these things has really piqued my interest in the study of typography. I’m sure someone with more knowledge of glyph design would be able to add a few subtle inflections to really help the eye see B and W one way and CO S the other.

Still, it’s a ton of fun. I’ve added another to the article.

Posted at 3:54 pm on January 14th by Mike.

5. So, because Mike’s nerdier than the rest of us he has a better ability to see these rather artistic things than the rest of us…

Keep up the good (if confusing) work.

Posted at 5:03 pm on January 14th by Christine.

6. Cool. After reading The Da Vinci Code I scouted the net for more ambigram stuff and got really interested too. Good work, that looks really well done.

Posted at 7:50 am on September 21st by Jeffrey Sambells.

© 2004-2014, Mike Purvis, some rights reserved. I'm running Wordpress, and I have an RSS feed.

resume writing services